Friday, October 15, 2010

A Fun Lesson on Music


Music, music, music! There is power in music.
This week in seminary I've felt like I'm just not getting through. I have to say that part of it is the lesson material. In one of our in-service lessons we were encouraged to make our lessons "sparkle." Not that everything needs to be grand and exciting, but the sparkle factor grabs attention.

Today our lesson was Section 25 of the Doctrine and Covenants. That's the one that was given to Emma Smith. Part of the instruction she was given was to create a hymnal. We read the First Presidency message in the current hymnal which was something some of the youth didn't even know about. I was glad I could share that with them.

At the end of the lesson, I played a lot of clips of music for the youth to listen to. Prior to that we read in Moroni 7 how to know when something is good or evil. It's the feelings we get that will tell us. I asked the youth to tell me how they felt after hearing each clip.
Some of the clips had the youth dancing in their seats while others took them to a specific place or activity such as youth conference during Cotton Eyed Joe, or participating in the Nauvoo pageant. Some of the clips made them feel like they were at General Conference or just relaxing and getting ready to sleep.
I was very happy to finally feel like I succeeded this week. I had a lot of talking and discussion which was totally opposite from the rest of the week. I guess that's what some major pondering and prayer will do for me.

No comments: