Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day 2010

Let me be totally honest. I've not been a fan of Mother's Day in the past 20 years. I've discovered that I have high expectations when it comes to this day. I don't think there needs to be a day "set aside" to treat your mother like a queen. In fact, that's never happened. I just figured that on Mother's Day I would like the children to be nice to one another and have NO contention in my home. That's really not too much to ask, is it?

Anyway, year after year I'd be disappointed that my kids couldn't give me one day out of the year where there was no arguing. Then, 16 years ago my mom passed away very unexpectedly. I recall a mother's day a few years ago when a well-meaning member of the bishopric told us all to go home and give our moms a hug or at least call her and tell her we love her. "Easy for you to say" I thought. "When there's a direct phone line to the Spirit world where they can talk back, I'll do just that." Notice a hint of sarcasm in that one? That really put me off. Between my disappointment because my expectations weren't met and missing my mom, I decided Mother's day wasn't for me. It reminds me a bit of New Year's Eve. All hype and nothing really special in the end.

This year my husband took me away to Eau Claire on Friday night to spend some time with some very dear friends. Then we were off to the temple Saturday morning. A baptism in Stevens Point and then off to Appleton for the night. We were off to Chilton on Sunday morning to church. Pat and I both spoke in their sacrament meeting and then back home to have lunch with our kids. I enjoyed my peaceful weekend away with my sweetie and the kids are all old enough not to be squabbling with one another.

Tonight Sammi will be calling us which will be a treat. I never looked forward to Mother's day like this ever before. Perhaps mother's day isn't so bad after all.

1 comment:

BrandonandJeana said...

Its really not Heidi, but I agree...I think everyone puts too much hype into Mother's Day...I mean come on...can't everyday be treat your mom like a queen Day? lol Glad you had a fun weekend. I shall be calling you soon to talk about some things.