Tuesday, May 25, 2010

An Awakening to Differences

I've been very busy lately with the track season winding down. Monday was our regional track meet. Many of our athletes are moving on to the sectional meet on Thursday. Then we'll see who makes it to state. I'm really hoping for a few specific kids but know they've got to perform very well to make it.
Last night on our way home from the track meet, there was some unsavory behavior in the back of the bus. I voiced my disapproval before letting anyone off the bus. As I was thinking about their bad behavior, I became keenly aware just how different the world's views and my views of acceptable behavior are. I am so blessed to have The Family: A Proclamation to the World as well as The For Strength of Youth pamphlet in my life. These documents give meaning and direction from diety on how I need to live my life.
In teaching seminary last week, we were discussing the horrible wickedness in the final chapters of Moroni. Although I don't know of too many cases where canablism is or has been practiced, the wickedness today is not much different. Once the Spirit of the Lord withdraws from a person, they are capable of so much that's evil. It makes me sad.
I could be fearful especially for my children and grandchildren, but I'm not. Satan may have more power than ever, but the power of the priesthood is also more powerful than ever. I am confident that righteousness will prevail.
I have been blessed with posterity who are obedient. I didn't do anything to deserve this, but I am thankful. I see their strength for good and it amazes me that they are so good. (Disclaimer: I am not claiming that my children are perfect in any way, shape or form.) There is good all around us in this world that can be so vile. Look and you'll see it. God is still in control and will be forever! (I'm stepping off of my soapbox now.)

No comments: