Monday, November 25, 2019

A New Assignment ... Again

Two weeks ago, we got two new couples in the FM group.  One of them is quite elderly and they're not able to do a lot of things physically that FM missionaries need to do.  Jordan asked me to come into his office.  He told me that he didn't know what else to do with Sister Jones, so he wanted to give her the job as FM secretary.  He was really pleased with the work I did and I think he was a little sad to give the assignment to someone else.  He thought I might be sad.  Sad???  Are you kidding me?  I get to go back to the 7am-1pm shift with my husband.  
What's my new assignment?  Officially it is to be an assistant to the handyman.  That means I get to work with my husband.  Oh darn!  One of our assignments was to assist in putting up the Christmas tree in the Visitor's Center.
Some of the other FM missionaries came to help too.  Sister Keeton is "fluffing" the branches.
Barant was in charge of putting up the tree since he knows how.  Elder Bailie was working on the lights that didn't work.
Elder Pinette was working on fluffing too.  In fact, we all fluffed.
A view from the top!
Getting the star put on straight.
Sister Scott fixing some of the branches.
Last week the weather was really nice so there was some outside painting that needed to get done before the winter really sets in.  I went with the painters to the Orson Hyde house which is being rebuilt.  
Once that was done, I went with Sisters Howard and Odum to the Heber C. Kimball home.  There are a couple of rooms that are being repainted.  Since rollers were not invented yet in the 1840's, and this house was painted with a roller, we need to sand the paint off the walls so the roller marks will not be visible. 
Two of us sand and the other vacuums up the paint dust. It is a really dusty job and we wear eye protection and breather masks.  What a sight we are!
When Jordan gets back from vacation next week, I'm going to ask him if I can have a permanent assignment change to the paint crew.  I really enjoy painting and I love working with these sisters as well as the Elders who work on the paint crew.  There is so much to be done and I want to be part of it.  Who gets to go inside these historic homes and help make them more historically correct?  Me!  That's who.  

No comments: