Saturday, July 13, 2019

Security

We were asked to sign up for a day or two or more to work with the parking for the pageant.  We're actually part of the security team as well.  We were assigned to work the main entrance.  There we were really crossing guards but were also given the assignment to keep people safe.
We were warned ahead of time that a local who is a very vocal non friend of the church may be there. He is called "the screamer."  He stands just off the street at the main entrance to the pageant grounds and does a lot of yelling as the people enter.  I had a feeling that that was the place where we would be assigned.

Once again, the Spirit witnessed to me ahead of time.  Brother Anderson, who is the head of all of this looked at the two of us and asked if we would take the main entrance.  Of course.  We will do whatever is asked of us.  He wasn't there initially but came walking down the road with his sign.  He does a lot of yelling and ranting about how we worship Joe Smith and how he's a pervert and a bunch of other nonsense.  We're instructed not to engage him.  He records anything possible with his cell phone and then edits it to put on his Youtube page.

He taunted the sister missionaries and called them cowards for not wanting to talk to him.  Some people did engage him which just fuels his fire.  Not many, just a few.  I was so thankful when the bagpipe band marched over and began playing their concert as they drown out his rantings.  They also bring the Spirit as they play such wonderful hymns.

I was feeling a bit intimidated by him which I now recognize as the adversary.  I looked down and saw my name badge.  The feeling was overpowering.  I am a representative of Jesus Christ.  I wear His name on my chest every single day.  I was so empowered.  My conversion of Him being my Savior deepened in that brief moment.  I was no longer intimidated but strengthened.  Little did this small minded man know what he did for me.  This is what it means to "Stand as a Witness"!

I am once again grateful for the opportunity to serve in this seemingly unimportant way.  My job was to keep people safe from being run over.  I hope my smiles and welcoming words helped someone tonight just as this crude man helped me.  I made a difference.  It may not have been something extraordinary, but I made a difference!

No comments: