Wednesday, February 27, 2019

A Mission Call

For many years I thought about and set the goal to one day serve a mission(s) with my dear husband.  I thought it would be when we were old.  Pat always talked about retiring when he was 57 but I didn't know how that could possibly happen.

Last year we found out that Pat would be losing his job this year.  In January we found out his last day would be May 31st.  After meeting with a financial planner we determined that we could serve this mission sooner than later.

We began the medical/dental part of the "paperwork" (everything is done online). Then the tedious task of filling out the application.  In mid January we had everything ready to go including the interviews.  Since you can't send an application until 120 days before you're available, President Lonsdale couldn't press the SEND button until February 1st.
When we first decided to serve, we went to the senior missionary website and there we found a list of opportunities.  There were several that were facility management type of missions.  One at the Nauvoo temple and another in historic Nauvoo.  What?  That's just the type of thing we would love to do!  We picked out several of those but there is no guarantee that you will get what you pick out. 

Pat is a guy who wants to know things and he isn't afraid to call people and find things out.  He called the mission department last week and found out that our call would be made on Thursday.  That means our call would probably be here on Tuesday.  On Tuesday I got a text at work as well as an email saying our mission call was available to view.

Now I'm a bit nervous.  I know what we picked out but where does the Lord want us to serve?  I printed off the call letter at work and sealed it in an envelope and I didn't peek!  We waited for family to gather and then with Erin and Andrew and Cierra on FaceTime and a live Facebook feed to our family group we opened our letter.  I invited the Thornes over as I've been talking with Tracy about this for months.

Pat said he's done this before so I needed to read the letter.  Interesting that we both got the same letter but one for each of us rather than one for both of us.  We got called to the Illinois Nauvoo Mission to work in the Historic Site FM Office.  Yippee!!!  We report to the Provo MTC on June 3rd.  Wow!  That doesn't give us any time between the end of Pat's job and the beginning of this mission.

I think our children and grandchildren were as excited as we are.  They love Nauvoo and this way they will be able to see us when they come for vacation.  I desire to serve and this seems like a good fit for us.  At least this time around.

1 comment:

Megan said...

What a great opportunity and blessing! You'll be amazing! :)