Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I Had an Idea...

There is a field behind our home where the grass/weeds grow tall.  Our neighbor used to mow it down and use it to feed the horses.  Last year he didn't use it.  Over the winter he passed away so I know for certain no one will use it for feed.  I had an idea that the boys could use this field for playing ball.  The field is actually owned by our neighbor who passed away a few years ago.  I've been taking care of the lawn at her home so I just figured that her son wouldn't care if more of his property was being cared for. 

So last night, my husband got a burning permit and started the process.  With Andrew and the Haffner men helping out, they got the job done.
We should have burned this off last week.  It rained pretty hard on Monday night and the new grass coming through is already quite green so it didn't burn so well in some places.
 Some people like to get right up inside the smoke and flames to help the dry stuff burn.
I don't know what these tall weeds are.  They were plenty dry, but wouldn't burn.  Newell and I knocked them down and he poured "liquid boy scout" on them and still they didn't want to burn.  I guess there a little work left to do before the mowing season begins. 

Here's hoping those neighborhood boys get a lot of fun out of using this field.  It should make finding lost balls a lot easier as well.  We found at least 3 tennis balls as well as a softball.  The other bonus?  No tall grass equals no snakes!

No comments: