Saturday, August 7, 2010

My first bear sighting!

While at camp this week, Cheryl and I went to Antigo to make some photos at Walmart. On our way back I spotted this bear not far from the entrance to the camp. He/she was probably last year's cub as he was about the same size as a St. Bernard. I told Cheryl I saw either a dog or a black bear so we turned around to go find out. I didn't have my camera but Cheryl did so I rolled down my window and she shot these photos.

Cheryl and I shared a bunk house and in our sleep deprived state, we found humor in the following:

Bear Warning:
The Forest Service has issued a BEAR WARNING in the National Forests for the summer. They are warning everyone to protect themselves by wearing bells and carrying Pepper Spray. Campers should be alert of fresh bear activity and should be able to tell the difference between Black bear dung and Grizzly bear dung.
Black bear dung is rather small and round. It contains fruit seeds and/or has squirrel fur in it. Grizzly bear dung smells like pepper spray and has bells in it.
I had so much fun "living" with Cheryl for the past five days. We laughed ourselves silly.

1 comment:

Luana said...

I wouldn't trust pepper spray to protect me from a bear! It would probably make him madder! Sure am glad I don't have to worry about those nasty bears anymore.