Saturday, May 23, 2009

What a long day!

I spent my day in Marion. You would think that would mean I was there for either a track meet or better yet, spending the day with the Gourley family. It was neither. I learned today that if you are a coach in Wisconsin, you need to attend a training about first aid and coaching philosophy before you begin your second year of coaching. Well, I'm in my 5th year but only my 1st as an employee of the Bowler school district. They pay for the training which isn't cheap.

From 8am until 1:15 I learned a lot about first aid and some about making tough decisions. We actually had a 30 minute break to go and get food and then continued until about 4:55. I can't tell you how hard it was to stay awake. I wasn't the only one struggling though. The 2nd part of the training is supposed to be 8 hours but our instructor wants people to still be sane, so she skips alot of the "put into practice" stuff.

The other thing that I need to do yet is take a test on each of those things that were taught today. It is an open book test so that's good, but I'm afraid with all the stuff crammed into my feeble brain in one day, I'll forget most of it. I need to score an 80% or take the test over. That shouldn't be difficult, should it?

No comments: