Thursday, October 13, 2016

General Conference & Utah Tour

Another yearly trip to Utah for General Conference.  This year we planned to spend a few extra days in Utah to go to southern Utah to see some of the sights.  We've never done that so why not?  I'm not teaching seminary and we don't have to be home at any specific time.  Andrew came with us and he was able to see and visit some of the families and people form his mission.  These pics are not in chronological order so bear with me if I skip around.
On Tuesday morning we headed north and stopped at Cove Fort.  This was a place that Ira Hinckley was asked to set up and live in.  It was a way station for weary travelers as well as a look out for hostile natives.  It was most interesting and I loved the tour.  Don't drive past.  Take the time and stop.
 Kent and Karen Hugh, former temple president and matron in St. Paul, live in Cedar City.  We called them a few weeks before our trip to ask what we absolutely needed to see.  He said he would take us on a personal tour.  That's exactly what we got.  It was incredible.  This is at Kolob National Park.
General Conference is always fun.  It is great to sit in the Conference Center and feel the Spirit.  We saw these two on Sunday afternoon.
Saturday morning was the first session we had tickets for.  I took an extra ticket for Tatelyn.  I think she had a good time with us.  
The first stop on the Hugh's tour with us was in some little town where there is this statue commemorating the "quilt walk."  Look it up and find out what it was.  It is an incredible story of how the Lord helped those who help themselves.
With this handsome face at Cove Fort.  We were standing up on the wall surrounding the fort.
On our way south on Sunday night, I captured this view.  I love how the light makes different colors on the clouds.
Sunday morning was spent with this pair of wonderful people.  President Howard and Sister Marge Sharp.  They were the Mission President in the California San Bernardino mission back in 1980.  Two years ago he assisted my husband in setting Andrew apart as a missionary.  We forgot to take a picture then so we re-created it.  They always have such wonderful stories.  They both have a great sense of humor.  I love them to pieces!
Can you believe I have never seen a palm tree in real life?  Not that I can remember.  I've never spent any time in the desert so how would that have been possible?  This is in front of the St. George temple.
This is Bryce Canyon.  All the rock formations are called Hoodoos.  Absolutely breathtaking.  I only wish the day had been warmer so we could've walked along some of the paths along the canyon rim.
The St. George temple.  It is the oldest functioning temple on the earth.  We were able to go do a session on Tuesday morning.  Very beautiful!
More hoodoos.  I love this amazing man who decided we should take this vacation.
Of all the beauty we were able to experience in Utah, we came home and this was the view from my car window as we were driving down highway 29 only minutes from our home.  There is so much diversity on this beautiful earth.  God certainly made something for everyone!

1 comment:

Megan said...

I'm so glad you were able to take some time and explore the beauty in southern Utah. While I'm a midwestern at heart, I'm so grateful to live near such amazing places that we can adventure to. I've never heard of the Quilt Walk and am going to look into that. The Kolob park is actually officially a part of Zion National Park and is called Kolob Canyon to offer the distinction between the two regions. You and your husband are inspiring adventurers. :) As well as other things, but thanks for sharing your experiences.