Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Family of Willing Hearts

A dear friend of ours had a massive heart attack about two weeks ago. They own a family farm where they still milk cows. Their daughter had been helping with the chores but on Friday morning she and her husband left for Utah to take their son to the Missionary Training Center in Provo. Due to the need for help, my husband volunteered to bring Andrew to help with the morning chores on Saturday.

Andrew didn't balk at the thought of getting up at 5:30 to go help in the barn. He said Wayne was kind enough to let him hunt on his land where he shot his first deer so he could repay the favor. Here he is feeding a calf.
When Clare heard that Dad and Andrew were going to help with the chores, she volunteered to go along and bring Cami. When Clare was 11 or 12, she and her dad went every Sunday morning for several weeks while Wayne was out of commission due to a broken neck, to help with the chores. She wanted Cami to have a positive experience in giving service. She also got to feed the calves.
Pat was a farm boy since he was young. He loved getting back to the barn to milk the cows.
Cami got to help feed the cows as well. Since they're really quite large (they must seem ginormous to a little girl), she didn't want to get too close. I admit, I'd rather be at the front end of a cow than the rear end.
Clint went along as well. He spent much of his time in the house visiting with Wayne. When he did come out he made friends with this expectant mother. She let him scratch her and much like a cat, she enjoyed it.
I stayed home to be here when Adam awoke. I was very motherly and made breakfast for my returning servers. I am so blessed to have a family full of willing hearts. Not everyone would like to give service at 5:45 a.m. Not only the earliness of the day, but the unpleasant smell that accompanies that service. My heart nearly burst as I thought about all the wonderful people that live in my home.

No comments: