Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Backstage

Except for the days off and our 2-6am shifts, I was assigned backstage every night except the final two.  It is an easy assignment but I never did get our front to see the performance.  Pat filled in for Eloise after he was done shuttling people in, for two nights so she could go watch it with John.  
It is interesting to watch the people scramble around to get into their places and be ready to get on stage.  We had beautiful weather for most of the time.  Not at all typical of Nauvoo.
Some of the principle actors came and talked to me and thanked me for my service.  Being backstage just means we aren't to let anyone who isn't supposed to be back there past us.  Eloise was really good at it.  She questioned everyone.
It was really quiet back there until about 8:15 when the cast started coming back.
I loved watching all the little things like people sneaking on to the stage when they were late or the gathering of props.  Watching the work crew under the stage was also something new for me. 
Just prior to leaving, the moon was getting bigger and coming out while it was still light.  A good shot of the Yearsly home.  I liked watching everything happen with the "buildings" going up and especially the temple being constructed.  
The very best part was at the end of the Nauvoo pageant when the real temple is lit up and President Hinckley's voice is heart telling about Joseph's temple faced west and Brigham's temple facing east as they are bookends with volumes in between.  Each time I would look at the temple and hear his voice, the Spirit would wash over me.  I knew I was standing on holy ground.  I was again reminded of the importance of temples.  It was a moment that made up for not being able to have an assignment that was more exciting.  Such a wonderful experience!
 

No comments: